As many of you are aware, I’m not really into gambling but something compelled me to place a bet in this year’s Melbourne Cup.
On Sunday night I saw a news report about the Melbourne Cup, one of the world’s most prestigious horse races. After seeing the names of the horses that would race in the big event, I had a gut feeling that I had to place a bet simply because of the horses’ names.
On Monday, I contacted somebody who knows a lot about horse racing and asked how I could place a bet at the TAB. Not only did they give me the information that I needed on placing a bet but they also gave me good information about the merits of the horses I liked. Thus, with some anxiety I entered a local TAB on Monday (to avoid the Tuesday queues) and placed a bet for the 1st time on the Melbourne Cup.
As a musician and a music lover, I was impressed to see the names of two horses and so I placed my bet. Can you imagine my shock and jubilation when I listened to the race call on the radio and heard that ‘Delta Blues’ came 1st and that ‘Pop Rock’ came 2nd? Unbelievable! A 1st time bet with a winning result!
So the moral of the story?
1) There is such a thing as “beginners luck”.
2) Always go with your gut instinct.
3) Anything to do with music always makes you feel good.
By STEVE YANKO
Copyright © STEVE YANKO 2006
About the Author
Steve Yanko is a Music Teacher, Musician, Song Writer & Consultant who loves working in the world of music.
- 27 Jan 2008The Police Melbourne Concert Review – January 26th, 2008. 2 Comments
- 13 Dec 2009Keith Urban Melbourne Concert Review – December 12th, 2009. 2 Comments
- 02 Jul 2012Lady Gaga – Melbourne July 1st 2012 – Concert Review 2 Comments
- 17 Apr 2011BB King – Melbourne Concert Review April 16th 2011 2 Comments
- 07 Apr 2004James Brown Concert April 6th Rod Laver Arena – Review 1 Comment